Firstly, we have to know what English connectors are and then we will understand the concept in detail along with the top 5 connectors that you can use in reading, writing as well as speaking.
CONNECTORS IN ENGLISH GRAMMR
In short, connectors in the English language are small words that are used in joining two sentences and paragraphs. We can use the connectors while we speak or write. Connectors provide support to the sentence or the paragraph that makes it look more logical and sensible. By using Connectors, your writing and content becomes more clearer and easy to understand.
Knowingly or unknowingly connectors are used all the time in our everyday chit-chats and other conversations too.
It is important to know that the purpose of every connector is different and they have different meanings attached to them. Some connectors sound more formal whereas some sound more casual.
Now that you know the meaning of Connectors and what they do, let us look at the top 5 of them and you would be surprised to know that you have been using it in your daily conversations and chit-chats.
TOP 5 CONNECTORS
Connector 1 – BECAUSE
One of the most used connectors in our daily conversations and writings is the word ‘because’. ‘Because’ is used in writing as well as while speaking. We use this connector in formal as well as in the informal situations and contexts. Moreover, the word ‘because’ is the most common English connector to be used.
- I did not have my lunch because I was not hungry.
- She could not go to the party because she was not invited.
Connector 2 – THEREFORE
You must have heard or must have seen the ‘Therefore’ in books, articles, or must have even written it by yourself. DO notice that whenever you use this word, it always comes in the beginning or at the end of the paragraph. Mostly, it is used in writing and as far as speaking is concerned, it is used in formal conversations.
- She wore red and he wore black. Therefore, they looked different.
- Linda paints every day. Therefore, her paintings are brilliant.
Connector 3 – THUS
The connector ‘Therefore’ and ‘thus’ are almost similar to each other and it is also used in the writing aspect. Similarly, it is either used at the end or the beginning of a new paragraph.
- Getting good with Grammar takes time. Thus, you have to be consistent.
- Zach was good with studies. Thus, he kept getting good grades.
Connector 4 – ACTUALLY
Nowadays, we are in the habit of using the word ‘actually’, which is why it is used at the start, middle, or even at the end of a sentence. This is why we make use of this connector in all forms of conversation and writing.
- Actually my parents think going abroad for studies was my best decision.
- Studying abroad isn’t new. Actually it is more common than we think.
Connector 5 – IN FACT
Again, we use this connector in our daily conversations, whether formal or informal. We use this connector when we are stating our opinion or we are telling a fact.
- We haven’t been talking for quite a while. In fact I don’t even think that our relationship will grow.
- I love to eat chicken. In fact, I cook it every day.
Now, we have studied all the top 5 connectors that we use every day in our daily lives, whether we are in casual situations or in formal situations, connectors make it more easy and understandable.