The concept of prepositions is very short and easy to understand, and the types of prepositions are much easier. Prepositions are one small part of English Grammar but it has huge effects on English language skills and practices.
TYPES OF PREPOSITIONS
PREPOSITION OF PLACE
The Preposition of Place talks about the place of a person/thing, that is in connection with another person/thing.
‘On, above, over, in front of, beside, below, under, behind’ are some examples of prepositions of place that we use in everyday conversations.
Let us look at some examples,
- There is a book on the desk.
- There were crows above the house.
- The doctor placed a sheet over the dead body.
- She stood in front of him and tried to hypnotize him.
- They put the key under the flower pot.
- The thieves were made to put their hands behind their back.
- There is a big cave below the hospital.
- We sat beside each other.
PREPOSITION OF TIME
Preposition of time speaks about time period like months, years, centuries, decades, days, dates.
The preposition ‘at’ talks about a precise time.
The preposition ‘in’ talks about months, years, centuries, etc.
The preposition ‘on’ talks about days and dates.
Let us take a look at some examples,
- I will have my dinner at 9 pm.
- The restaurant opens in the afternoon.
- Nick went home at the time of his class.
- In India, there is a severe cold in January.
- Do you work on Sundays too?
- Her death anniversary is on 3 March.
- Will you be here on my birthday?
- The sun rises in the morning.
- I stay with my friends at any party.
at, by, for, from, in, of, off, on, out, through, till, to, up, with are examples of simple prepositions.
We form the Compound preposition by prefixing one!
Examples of compound prepositions are about, above, across, along, amidst, among, amongst, around, before, behind, below, beneath, beside, between, beyond, inside, outside, underneath, within, without.Quiz | Preposition