At times, there is a possibility to contain a noun phrase that has NO articles, which is why they are termed as ‘Zero articles. ’The Zero Article’ is also a part of the Determiners which is why it is also named as the Zero Determiner.
Let us understand this simple concept with some examples,
- I need a glass of wine. – Indefinite Article
- I like the Indian cuisine of this restaurant. – Definite article
- I eat fish every day. – Zero Article
Now, let us look at:
Zero Article with Plural and Uncountable Nouns
- Bikes, citizens
- Death, air
- Sadness, dance, literature
Zero Article with Singular and Countable Nouns
People: Kevin, Sheila, Harvey
Places: India, Russia, China, Bangkok, Japan, Singapore, London University, Mars
Streets: Wall Street, Oxford Street
Languages: Hindi, English, Marathi, Russian, Chinese
Academic Subjects: Geography, Mathematics, History, Law
Days, Months: Sunday, December, Thursday, March
Sports, Games: Badminton, Rugby, Football, Hockey
Meals, Food: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Routine places: At school, in house, at work
Noun + Number: Room 4, Page 46, Platform 2
Transport or Movement: By car, by bike, by airplane, by helicopter
Newspaper headlines, user guides, notices: Rail accident took place, the celebrity involved in a drug racket
- Bikes can be dangerous on rainy days.
- We seldom see dedication like that.
- We could see lightning in the sky.
- She gave it to Kevin.
- He arrived in Thailand today.
- Hindi is such an easy language.
- All the students, please turn to page 76.
- We usually dine on Sunday.
- In India, January is quite cold.
- We are shifting to Mumbai.