In order to avoid mistakes English Grammar, it is essential that you know these top 10 Grammar rules. Let us understand all of them with examples:
- Every sentence begins with a capital letter and it ends with a full stop, a question mark, or even an exclamation mark.
- The book is on the table.
- What did you just say?
- That girl is full of surprises!
- Every sentence must consist of a subject and a verb, an object stays optional. Remember that imperative can include only a verb, however, the subject in the sentence stays understood.
- Elena sings.
- Elena sings English songs.
- Ohh! (Ohh damn!)
- Normally, adjectives come before a noun, except for the part where the adjective is separated from the noun by the verb.
- I have a huge farm.
- Her family is rich.
- He ran away with a beautiful Canadian woman.
- Basic positive sentences have an order of the Subject-Verb-Object, whereas, Negative and question sentences have a different order.
- She hates men.
- They were watching a movie till midnight.
- Use a singular verb, when two singular subjects are connected by ‘or’. It is the same for words like either/or and neither/too.
- Neither Kevin nor Henry was on time.
- Either petrol or diesel is fine.
- Remember that the words ‘its’ and ‘it’s’ have two different meanings.
- The lizard grows its tail.
- Mom says it’s time to eat.
- The words ‘you’ and ‘you’re’ have two different meanings.
- Here are your car keys.
- You’re terrible at drawing.
- The words ‘there, there, and they’re’ have different meanings.
- It’s their new house.
- There was somebody in her room.
- What makes you think that they’re leaving us?
- ‘He’s, She’s, it’s’ have different meanings.
- He is not listening to you.
- He has completed the assignment.
- She has left the party.
- She is left to submit her homework.
- Kevin is a divorcee.
- Nina has killed her uncle.
- A Proper Noun is spelled with an initial capital letter.
- Are you in America?
- Have you spoken to Joseph?
- Have you visited Japan?
The above mentioned were the top 10 grammar rules you must never forget to achieve fluency.